Thursday, June 5, 2014

"CHARITY NEVER FAILETH"

On Tuesday I went on an exchange. An exchange is where my companion and I split up. We each pair off with other sister missionaries. One of them will come to our area where we work, and one of us will go to their area to work. Well, Tuesday was my turn to go out of my area. I ended up going to Leesburg for the day :)

While we were there, we had dinner with a wonderful family!! I will never forget their example of charity. It has touched me so much, and I know that I will never forget how I felt while at their home.   I only spent an hour with them, but they taught me so much. I will ever be grateful for them!!

This family has one child that has special needs. He requires an extra amount of patience, time, and love. While I was there, I noticed the simple acts of kindness from his mom and siblings.

At one point he didn't want to eat what was given to him. He wanted something else that was downstairs.  So his brother went downstairs and got it for him without even complaining about having to go all the way downstairs in the middle of dinner. 

Another sister noticed that he wanted something, so she passed it to him. 

His mom was patient and gave him attention when he needed it. She was so understanding.

There were so many other simple acts of love and kindness that went on during that dinner. They never became frustrated or overly upset.  It was so touching to be there in this home with so much love, patience, and compassion.

While there, I felt an overwhelming presence of LOVE in their home. It was so overwhelming I wanted to cry!! For the past couple of days, I have wanted to increase my love for others. I have prayed and asked Heavenly Father to help me understand what kind of love He has for us, and how I can share that with others. Well, I got my answer!! Their love in action helped me understand what true Christ-like love is! 

Christ-like love is present, no matter what the circumstances are.  In this home, it would be so easy to become frustrated, annoyed, angry, etc.  But instead of giving into those temptations, they choose to remember who he is...a child of God!! They love him anyways!

The mom joked and said that she felt like entertainment for everyone else because they aren't the "normal" family. But it didn't come across like that to me at all!! I felt a greater sense of peace, not chaos. I felt closer to the Savior after being with their family.  I know that is because of the love that they show towards each other.

As I thought about this family's example, this scripture came to my mind from the Book of Mormon:

45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
 47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
 
Charity, or the pure love of Christ, NEVER FAILS!! It didn't bring this family down, it lifted them up!!

If we seek for charity in our lives, everything else will work out. We have no need to fear if we are seeking to love others.  I believe that charity, the pure love of Christ, makes everything right.  :) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment